Monday, August 20, 2007

How many ways can you screw up a Monkey?

At least two, apparently. I had a rainy day urge to cast on a pair of socks with some STR Farmhouse I had marinating in the stash, and decided to see if the Monkey socks are really as much fun as they look. Well, this pattern is my first attempt to actually knit from a chart. It didn't go well.

First, although I noticed, in theory, that the purl and the knit marks on the chart were different, I failed to consistently notice them while knitting. Some rows were purled, some rows were not. Rip. (Only back to the ribbing. Nothing too horrible.) Back to happily knitting the charted section. As I neared the end of the first repeat, I looked at the inside of the sock and thought that it really looked better from the inside. Hm. It was then that I realized that I had mixed up the knit symbol and the purl symbol, so that I was knitting the purls and purling the knits. So I decided to turn it inside out and keep going. We'll see if that works or if that is, in fact, a third way to screw up the Monkeys.

No comments: